How will schools support pupils with other types of need?

There is a wide range of sensory and physical difficulties that affect children and young people across the ability range. Many children and young people require minor adaptations to the curriculum, their study programme or the physical environment. Many such adaptations may be required as reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act 2010”. Draft Special Educational Needs Code of Practice 2013

Other types of need may physical needs, Visual or Hearing Impairment, Health needs or a combination of several different needs. As a group of schools we believe careful planning and good communication between home, all school staff and any external agencies is the key to successfully supporting all pupils.

Identification School staff meet with parents, prospective pupils and any other relevant agencies who have been supporting your child, before your child joins the school to discuss any necessary support that your child may need. Progress for all students is carefully tracked and monitored, and where students make good progress as a result of school based plans or through the course of interventions they may then come off the SEN register. Careful tracking also shows where more support may be needed.

Teaching and support staff may also refer pupils for further testing or support if they are concerned. Similarly, if parents or carers have any concerns they can contact the SENCO.


  • All staffreceive regular and thorough training in Safeguarding, E-Safety and Child Protection which includes understanding how to support children and young people with Special Educational Needs in these areas. Teaching and support staff have access to regular training in supporting different types of need.

  • All classroom teachers will make use of dyslexia friendly strategies such as appropriate font, well-spaced text, multi-sensory approaches, coloured paper or adjusted screens and will aim to provide access to supportive assistive technology to support longer literacy tasks. They will know which pupils have dyslexia or literacy difficulties in their class and will differentiate accordingly.

  • External Agency Support - In some circumstances, the school in consultation with parents and the pupil themselves may seek the advice of external agencies or professionals. These may range from physiotherapists, to speech and language therapists or psychologists, in fact there is a wide range of agencies which may be called to support at this level, dependent on the needs of the pupil.

  • The SENCO is responsible for ensuring that specialist advice is translated into practice in the school, for example through providing training for teaching staff or by using reports to plan and implement appropriate intervention programmes.