How will schools support children social, mental or emotional difficulties?

What are social, mental and emotional needs - The draft Special Educational Needs (SEN) Code of Practice states that for some children:

difficulties in their emotional and social development can mean that they require additional and different provision in order for them to achieve.’ (2013)

Identification -Our schools have clear procedures in place to identify children and young people who are not making expected academic progress over a period of time. It may be that there is an underlying emotional, mental and/or social factor contributing towards the lack of academic progress. As well as the school process, parents are actively encouraged to raise any concerns that they may have in these areas, and medical and social professionals can also highlight the identification of such issues.

Difficulties in these areas may result in one or more of the following factors, which can affect learning: difficulties in establishing and maintaining relationships with adults and/or peers; persistent disruptive or passive behaviour; communication problems; delayed social skills development. It may be that these behaviours are affected by undiagnosed learning difficulties, housing, family or other domestic circumstances. Children and young people have a wide range of needs and whatever their needs they should have appropriate support to achieve the best possible outcomes.

Support - Schools work closely with children, parents and other professionals to identify suitable strategies to support the child’s emotional, mental and social development, as well as managing the effect of any disruptive behaviour so that it does not adversely affect the learning of other pupils. It is important to involve children in decisions about this support in order to enable them to learn and achieve, participate in activities and develop daily living skills. Pastoral support is available in all of our schools, either individually, in groups and/or through whole class sessions. Other educational, medical and social professionals may also work with the children and parents to provide support and advice. A wide range and degree of mental health problems might require special provision to be made, such as problems of mood and eating disorders, and this should be discussed with school staff. Specific conditions are also supported by school, medical and social professionals.